Saturday, March 23, 2013

College days.... I think he got the point...

It was our second year in Veterinary College and things were really starting to get interesting. The excitement level ratcheted up a few notches the day we were told that we had to purchase rubber boots and post mortem knives for our pathology labs which were looming.

I had been into the pathology room several times and found it fascinating. The first thing that was noticeable when entering was the stench. It was rather overpowering. As a lower year student we were not allowed on the main floor but instead had to watch and observe from the balcony as higher year students and pathologists dissected the carcasses of different types of animals below. The main floor and walls were tiled like a large bathtub because the blood and intestinal contents were constantly being washed down with large powerful hoses.   The ceiling was covered with steel tracks which were used to hoist in the larger animals (horses and cows) on a pulley system before they were lowered to the stainless steel tables.

As you can imagine an autopsy on a horse or a cow is a huge endeavour and is time consuming. Every inch of the body (inside and out) is examined for any signs of disease. The first time I watched from the balcony it was a bit overwhelming. Fortunately I have a rather strong stomach and don't get easily queasy. The pathologists worked quietly, almost reverently as they opened the chest and abdomen and explored every organ with intense accuracy. It was captivating.

Now it was going to be our turn to come down from the balcony. Our boots and knives arrived a few days prior to having to use them and the excitement was palpable. I picked up my equipment and headed to my locker to place them safely within it.  Later that day I saw my friend "Eldon" coming down the hall. Something was different about him and as he approached I noticed he was hobbling.  I guess I shouldn't have been surprised as I had come to know that he was a bit accident prone but what he told me I found a bit unbelievable. Eldon said that instead of placing his boots and knife into his locker he had decided to wear the boots and since the knife did not come with a sheath he stuffed the knife into one of his boots.  You guessed it... while walking he ended up cutting himself rather deeply. Sigh.. You live and learn. Sometimes the hard way. Eldon always seemed to learn the hard way.

No comments:

Post a Comment